Friday, May 4

Weapon Load-out: Mass Effect 3


The Mass Effect series has been the target of both criticism and praise for its narrative focused approach to game-play. So much so that we've lost focus on the great systems at play in the most recent title: Mass Effect 3. New and refined options in the character weapon loadout and skill tree systems create a balance that encourages players to experiment with the different options available to them.

Trying to find the balance between Biotics, Tech powers, and the Weapons System has been an ongoing effort for Bioware. Much like Square Enix, Bioware has greatly changed its designs between the games in its star franchise. But the solutions to these issues implemented in Mass Effect 3 were based around the cooldown timers of the Biotic and Tech abilities. Every weapon has a weight value which affects the recharge time for that character’s powers. Characters carrying too much weight will have their cooldown times extended. Conversely players that opt for lighter weapons, which usually do less damage, will have their cooldowns shortened. This tug and pull between weapon diversity and ability cooldowns makes players consider what they really want out of their Mass Effect experience.


Another noticeable change from the previous games is the removal of class based weapon restrictions for Commander Shepherd. Players have access to every weapon type in the game but this is balanced through the weight system. Players can choose to run a balancing act between firepower and abilities or entirely disregard one for the other. For my play-through this resulted in me picking a set of weapons and powers to test in each mission. I spent a lot of the early game figuring out how I wanted to play my Commander Shepherd.


Once I knew what I wanted to do the weight system allowed me to succeed in that choice. The avenues it opened up by granting me access to every weapon type being balanced by how often I could use my super powers really made me think about my approach to the game. This system when combined with the diversity afforded by branching power trees brought a feeling of individuality to my Commander Shepherd. More than that I now have another reason to go back and play Mass Effect 3, because I can still run my Vanguard Shepherd and have a different experience by changing up how I played in combat. Which I did.

I played Vanguard two ways: first by prioritizing Pull and then prioritizing Biotic Charge on the next play through. When I used the Pull focused build my Shepherd relied on cover, combining powers for chain reactions, and sharp shooting. This changed dramatically when I switched to the Biotic Charge build. I allocated points on my skill tree to allow Shepherd to recharge his shield and increase weapon damage when he used Charge. This resulted in me bouncing around the battlefield with a super charged shotgun. Which is just as silly as it sounds. But the variance in options and tone was made possible through the Weight system. My cooldown for charge was about 1.5 seconds. This allowed me to succeed with a silly character and power set.

I believe that this system truly allows players to make their own Commander Shepherd and use him or her in a style that works for them. The Weight system and branching skill trees work together to get players thinking. Overall I'd say these system contribute to Mass Effect 3 being a successful game.